Buying a Home With Termite Damage in Florida
It makes sense that one would be nervous about purchasing a home with prior termite damage. However, in general, you can safely purchase a house with a history of termite damage as long as proper precautions have been taken.
Homes that have experienced termite damage in the past are not any more likely for a new infestation than other homes. Unless there are currently termites living in the home, it is entirely safe to purchase property that has had documented termite damage. You should simply take precautions by getting a WDI report.
Can I Sell My Home If I Had a Termite Infestation?
If you have any structural damage, whether or not it was caused by termites, it can be difficult to sell your home. This doesn’t mean that it’s impossible, though—only that the value might decrease if the damage goes unfixed. Whether your past infestation was minimal or more serious, you should always be upfront about any termite activity you’ve experienced in the past. You should be ready to pay for inspections, treatments, and repairs as you go through the process of selling your home.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
How Do I Properly Buy a Home With Termite Damage?
Finding termite damage in your dream home can affect your choice to go forward with your purchase. Thankfully, there are several ways to make sure that you are safe in your purchase, even with a history of termite damage:
- Have a WDI report conducted to find evidence of past, current, or potential termite damage.
- If there is damage, you can possibly negotiate the home’s cost with the seller to account for treatment expenses.
- Always ask the seller for any history about termite activity on the property in case the WDI report is lacking.
- If a home has significant damage or a large infestation, the buyer has the choice of going forward with the purchase or not.
- As long as all past infestations are treated and accounted for, you should not let past termite activity prevent you from purchasing a home.
Buying Homes With Termite Damage in Florida
The key to preventing a termite infestation in your home is keeping up with routine preventative services. This will facilitate your eventual selling process. Always work with a professional termite exterminator to keep termites out of your home and yard all year long.